Saturday, June 18, 2011

I say Ruffle, you say Bum! RUFFLE BUM!

I think Joanie was joking but I loved the idea...
We went camping this last week and I couldn't wait to go hiking. A couple of weeks ago I got some new hiking pants, some 'authentic vintage camo pants'. They are uber comfortable and I love them. Lorelai was really impressed with them and told me I looked wonderful.

That got me thinking. Lorelai could use her own pair of camo camping pants. Joann's has a little section of camo print fabrics that I have been trying to find an excuse to buy and my opportunity finally came!

With my 50% off coupon in hand I headed to one of the happiest places in Modesto and picked up my more expensive than I would have liked almost denim camo fabric.

And so I began:
First I took a pair of Lorelai's pants and traced a pattern. One of my favorite pant making tips came from Dana at Made. She said when tracing a pants pattern off of a pair you own, to make sure and make a front AND a back piece. So I did!

Then I cut out my fabric and eyeball measured and cut out some pockets.

I wanted very much to have the pockets because I think the details like that take a project from looking overly home-made to 'legit'. Unfortunately that ambition robbed Kent of a matching pair of camping pants. There was just barely too little fabric left. *sigh*

In my quest for legitimacy I surged all my edges as the pants went together and I really like the difference that made. These are a serious pair of pants. Well almost...

Now I'm sure Joanie was teasing me about girlie-ing up these camo pants but I loved the idea soo much that I used the scraps to make a ruffle bottom!


That's all there is to it. They were thoroughly loved. Enjoy.





2 comments:

  1. haha those are super cute
    every little camper girl needs ruffle butt camo pants

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO cute, I just love a good ruffle bum! That is a great tip about making a pattern from the front and back of pants, I will have to try that next time! Thanks for Showing Off!

    Carlee
    www.ladybirdln.com

    ReplyDelete