Thursday, September 3, 2015

My Cousin is Part Mermaid

Hey!
I'm pretty excited to share my recent finish with you today! 
I have a cousin who grew up in Africa (most of my mom's family lives there). She lived near and loves the beach and has sea air in her lungs. She just had a sweet baby boy a week ago and I mailed her a couple goodies.

While she was pregnant I started looking for baby quilt inspiration on pinterest and pretty quickly found the perfect pattern!

I followed this tutorial by Erica of Kitchen Table Quilting. She gives you a breakdown on sewing the curves that will set the most nervous mind at ease. I cruised through the curved piecing portion of this quilt and it was the first time I've ever sewn a curve! I was pretty ecstatic with the results. 
061
^My husband wasn't sure what to do with his head while I was taking pictures and kept getting distracted by whatever was on the other side of the bush.

I didn't follow her instructions entirely regarding the shades of blue because I couldn't find any one place that all six shades of Kona blue. The top and bottom are Kona but for the in between I went with what looked good at my local quilt shop.
059
Brett also didn't have a lot patience for close up shots attempting to show of the variegated thread I quilted with so you can see it here in the below picture.
Untitled
Finally, here it is in my sons crib!
063
I am completely in love with this quilt! I love the motion the quilting provides, I love all the blues, and I really I love that I conquered a technique that I was afraid of.

That is one of my favorite things about sewing. I was afraid to try curved piecing though I've wanted to for ages. Now, not only have I done it, I've done it well and I cant wait to try more!

I've shipped this lovely quilt off now (I miss it already) and I hope mom and baby love it as much as I do.
Have a happy day my sewing friends!
___________________________________________________________________________________
I want to know!
Curved piecing, yay or nay?

Are you a quilter?

What is your favorite new baby gift to give?

0 comments:

Post a Comment