Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Justice League, Peterson Style

Project Run and Play starts this week and I decided it would  be fun to participate in this sew along as well. The first weeks challenge is Art. Our outfit should be inspired by something related to art, a piece or a movement. I chose comic book art as my inspiration.

Untitled

We were already big super hero fans, it's no secret Kent is named after Superman, but my appreciation for comic book artists increased exponentially when I watched a guest artist at our local comic book store sketch on demand. He was incredible, I was so impressed I talked about it for days and here I am devoting two outfits to the whole idea!

I made Lorelai a Wonder Woman costume when she was three and I've wanted to make something else Wonder Woman related ever since.

WW1

SO for this challenge I made Lorelai a retro themed Wonder Woman shirt. I found this white knit for only $1! Pay attention, it'll definitely be making a few more appearances on this blog in the future. I used my beloved freezer paper stenciling to make the WW symbol I used one of Lorelai's few shirts that fit anymore to make the pattern for the shirt and I used the same legging pattern I used for these pants to make her jean shorts.

049 048 047

To make Kent's shirt I sewed strips of Superman cotton and red knit fabric together and then cut my shirt front from that. I added Superman to the bottom of the back and sleeves and then around the collar to tie it all together. I had to make to make the collar an open collar so that Kent's big dome would fit through, haha. His shorts are from the same denim material as Lorelai's. I made the patterns for both his shirt and shorts from ones that he already had. Super easy.

DSCN1175
DSCN1183
DSCN1179

Here are some pics of the two of them together..

DSCN1195 DSCN1170 There you have it! The Justice League, Peterson style. DSCN1199 See you later!

I'm also linked up at The Train to Crazy!

10 comments:

  1. Aren't they adorable! Both shirts look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your outfits go together without being too matchy :)
    bugandsquish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometimes I have to fight the matchy matchy in me :)

      Delete
  3. Good job! I like when something unique and quite wearable is achieved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My husband was pretty weary thinking I was making my son a V-neck! but I'm happy with how it turned out.

      Delete
  4. I love these! Especially that wonder woman shirt. It's awesome! I hope you'll link it up to Make It Wear It at TheTrainToCrazy.com!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are really cute! I love that you chose comics as a source of art inspiration, very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Comic book inspired is GREAT! Love it and these shirts are fabulous---they will get so much wear! Love them!
    -liZ

    ReplyDelete